Our role is to provide patients with a choice of complementary and alternative medicine to support their well-being, assist in symptom control and aid relaxation alongside the other services provided at St Luke's. This service can also be offered to the main carer, subject to practitioner availability.
Our main aim is to provide people who request our service with information and treatment choices in a relaxed and safe environment where they can feel supported and cared for. There are no charges for these services, but donations are very much appreciated.
We offer a range of treatments, which include:
-Aromatherapy: Using essential oils and massage, based on the person's individual needs to ease physical and emotional tensions.
- Homeopathy: Prescribing a remedy based on information that the patient gives to the homeopath about their life experiences and illnesses.
- Massage: Using gentle pressure with the hands and using a number of different massage strokes to assist the gentle unwinding of tense muscles, enabling relaxation.
- Reflexology: Using a gentle pressure technique on the soles of the feet or hands to stimulate 'reflex' points in the body and ease the body's functioning.
- Reiki: Natural energy channelled through clothing via the practitioner's hands, with the aim to promote calm and relaxation.
- Relaxation and visualisation techniques: Using deep level relaxation and visualisation techniques to ease physical and emotional symptoms. These techniques can be taught to patients to use themselves.
- Shiatsu: Based on traditional Japanese systems of health using gentle hand pressure through clothing to unblock the channels of energy meridians that run throughout the body.
For further information, please contact any member of staff at the Hospice or contact CAM lead practitioner on 01752 436744