Gift Aid Header

Frequently Asked Questions

Gift Aid is an arrangement that allows charities to reclaim tax on a donation made by a UK taxpayer, which means your donations will be worth 25% more to us at no extra cost to you. This additional income really does make a big difference, so please don’t forget to Gift Aid donations if you are a UK tax payer. Find out more from HMRC website.

Under UK law, certain donations are not eligible for Gift Aid. If your donation falls into any of the following categories, Gift Aid shouldn’t be claimed:

  • Donations made by anyone who is not a UK taxpayer.*
  • Donations made on behalf of someone else or a group of people e.g. you collect money from your friends and family and then made a bulk donation. Even if they are UK taxpayers, the donation is not eligible. HMRC needs a Gift Aid declaration from each of the donors contributing to the collection.
  • Donations made in return for something. For example, you are making a donation in return for a ticket to attend an event, most purchases of goods at an auction or buying a raffle ticket.
*If you are either not a UK taxpayer, or if you pay less income tax and/or Capital Gains Tax in the current tax year than the amount claimed on all your donations, HMRC may require you to pay the difference.

You may still be paying tax on a private pension plan or a savings account, or capital gains tax if you sell either some property or shares. You are still eligible if you have paid enough tax during the year to cover the amount we are reclaiming on your donations.

You can support as many UK charities as you like through Gift Aid. All you need to do is to return a declaration to each charity that you support and ensure that you are paying enough tax during the year to cover your total annual donations.

No. You just need fill out a Gift Aid declaration and date it – then it will cover donations you have already made to St Lukes Hospice and any donations you make in the future. There is no extra paperwork – we deal with the tax office to reclaim the tax. All we need is your declaration form.

Unfortunately not, we can only claim back tax at the basic rate. But you can request a rebate for the difference when you submit your tax returns and you can then opt to donate this to a charity of your choice.

As a higher rate tax payer, when you donate the charity will claim against your donation at the basic rate of tax (currently 20%) However, the good news is you can claim the difference between the rate you pay and basic rate on your donation. It’s the same if you live in Scotland.

All you need to do is complete the charitable giving section on your self-assessment tax form.

If you don’t have to send a tax return, contact HMRC and ask for a P810 form. You’ll need to submit it by 31 January after the end of the previous tax year.

Yes, but if you do so, we will not be able to claim Gift Aid. If you do choose to provide your information, we will only use your details if you give permission and it will not be passed on to other organisations.

Gift Aid on Sponsorship Forms

Yes please. We provide you with a form that helps you and us claim Gift Aid properly.

Please do not design your own as the Gift Aid form is a legal document and must include certain information to be valid.

No. Please do not fill in donation details on behalf of your sponsors. For legal reasons, the Gift Aid declaration needs to be in the handwriting of the person ticking the Gift Aid box. For the same reason, all details need to be handwritten and not typed.

Remind your sponsors that Gift Aid means UK taxpayers can add an extra 25% to their sponsorship at no extra cost to them.

To allow us to claim this essential additional income, your sponsors must:

  • tick the Gift Aid box on your sponsorship form when they sponsor you (but only if they are tax payers);
  • write their full name and title;
  • include their home address (house number/name and postcode is the minimum requirement we need to be able to claim Gift Aid);
  • fill in the ‘date paid’ box on the sponsorship form when they give you their donation;
  • avoid ditto (”  “) marks. If a number of sponsors live at the same address, they must each complete the address and postcode fields;
  • the name, amount, address and postcode fields must be filled out in the sponsors own handwriting;
  • donate individually. You cannot make joint donations, for example from Mr and Mrs Smith, as the HMRC needs to determine who the taxpayer is.